On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 01:40 AM, Walt Pawley wrote:
Much later in the day, I discovered that a "head" command typed into
Terminal no longer gave me the first few lines of a file. Instead it seemed
to provide numerous error messages and webbish looking stuff after some
considerable delay.

Hi Walt,

As others have pointed out, this issue has been affecting people for a long time.

Here's my previous post on it, with an appropriate solution:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=ADC37A42-A2A4-11D7-B7DE- 003065F6D85A%40mathforum.org

Note that this has nothing to do with CPAN.pm, it's a problem in the way MakeMaker and LWP are interacting.

-Ken