I'd like to take more time for this, but waiting doesn't produce more time this week. So I'll just toss out an idea --

You might be interested in this page, entitled
"Import Address Book
records into to Thunderbird" :

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040905025741769

When I googled for "thunderbird" and "address", trying to learn what thunderbird was, this was the first link that came up.

Yeah, shortly after posting I did the google and found that page. Tried the script, it had some issues* but I tinkered with it until I got it to work. But even then, Firebird's import didn't seem to find anything in the file.

I don't know about .vcf, but .csv is fairly easy to just look at with a text editor (formatting off, of course). The primary complications are for commas and new-lines buried in fields. Microsfot used quotes and made the whole thing a mess, but once you get your head around the mess it isn't that bad.

(One of these days, we have to put ASCII behind us, but that's a topic for a rainy weekend or two.)

 (After you load the file there's a pop-up
to link specific fields in the file to specific fields
in the Thunderbird format. But neither .vcf not .csv
seems to show up wih anything.) Since .csv *is* listed
as a text-type it understands, I wonder if this might
be a bug in the import abilities. I was hoping someone
else here uses Firebird and may have dealt with the
issue before.

* SImpleText doesn't like the "create new document"
stuff, so changed it to call TextEdit. And it craps
out on some of the addresses for no reason i can
discern, so I just commented that all out to produce
null addresses.

~wren