On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Joel Rees wrote:

> I don't know about .vcf, but .csv is fairly easy to just look at with
> a text editor (formatting off, of course).

VCF is (basically) an ascii format. You can encode binary data (e.g.
photos) in it, but it's base64 encoded (just like email) so you can poke
at it with a regular text editor.

A typical entry might look something like this:

    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:3.0
    N:Meyer;Russ;;;
    FN:Russ Meyer
    EMAIL;type=INTERNET;type=HOME;type=pref:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    item1.EMAIL;type=INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    item1.X-ABLabel:_$!<Other>!$_
    TEL;type=HOME;type=pref:800 555.1212
    item2.ADR;type=HOME;type=pref:;;42 Any Lane
    \n;Hollywood;CA;12345;United States
    item2.X-ABADR:us
    X-AIM;type=HOME;type=pref:rmvix
    END:VCARD

Etc. It's a little confusing, but it's mostly a regular format that
isn't too hard to read or otherwise work with.

> (One of these days, we have to put ASCII behind us, but that's a topic for a
> rainy weekend or two.)

???

Every tool has a role; ascii has lots and lots and lots of useful ones.
Also roles that it's totally wrong for, but that doesn't mean that it
makes sense to get rid of it altogether...

--
Chris Devers