For what it's worth, Phil:

I had a Net::Config problem last November. I also was using LWP, but the line
use Net::Config qw(%NetConfig);
was having absolutely no effect -- regardless of what I put in "~/.libnetrc". My son, Thane,suggested that I repair my disk permissions. Net::Config worked perfectly after that.

Regards,

Vic