hello.

Apache & mod_perl 2 are much easier to configure and install than versions 1.x, but even so it has taken quite a while for me to get this right. In case other people are considering this route, here's what I've learned:

1. If you want the option of trying different MPMs with mod_perl, you need a threaded perl (d'oh).
Without threads enabled you can only prefork.

2. Install in this order:
        * threaded perl
        * apache
        * mod_perl
        * libapreq
        * subversion

3. Make sure Subversion and Apache are referring to the same BerkeleyDB libraries.

4. libapreq2-2.04-dev, the current distribution, has crashing bugs on os x, but the snapshots from
http://svn.apache.org/snapshots/apreq/ work fine. It sounds like a new release might be imminent, btw.

5. OS X counts as a BSD when building libapreq, so to work with a snapshot you have to s/libtool/glibtool/
in ./buildconf line 22.

6. If you're importing CVS repositories into SVN, you need svn2cvs, from http://svn2cvs.tigris.org/,
which depends on a python library that panther lacks. There are instructions here:
http://sumorai.net/s9y/archives/226-Importing-a-CVS-repository-into- Subversion-on-Mac-OS-X.html

Would a fuller writeup be useful, or is this too much detail already?

best

Will

ps. The sequence of incantations I ended up with is pasted in below. I prefer apple's perl layout, but otherwise keep everything in /usr/local, and I tend to have several versions of apache around, so they have long, unwieldy names:

# upgrade to perl 5.8.6 threaded:

    ./configure -des -Dusethreads -Dprefix='/usr'
    make
    make test
    sudo make install

# apache 2.053 with threaded mpm:

    make distclean
    ./configure \
        --prefix=/usr/local/httpd_worker_2053 \
        --enable-layout=Apache \
        --with-mpm=worker \
        --enable-so \
        --enable-ssl \
        --enable-dav \
        --enable-deflate \
        --with-dbm=db4 \
        --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1 \
        --enable-mods-shared=most
    make
    sudo make install

# mod_perl 2.00 rc4:

    perl Makefile.PL \
        MP_COMPAT_1X=0 \
        MP_INST_APACHE2=1 \
        MP_AP_PREFIX=/usr/local/httpd_worker_2053 \
        MP_USE_GTOP=1
    make
    make test
    sudo make install

# libapreq (latest from svn):

s/libtool/glibtool/ in ./buildconf line 22ish
./buildconf
perl Makefile.PL --with-apache2-apxs=/usr/local/httpd_worker_2053/bin/apxs
make
make test
sudo make install

# subversion v1.1.3:

    make clean
    ./configure \
            --with-apxs=/usr/local/httpd_worker_2053/bin/apxs \
        --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1
    make
    make check
    sudo make install