On Jun 15, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Robin wrote:

I thought I'd understood how to use unicode support in perl, but evidently not. In the script below, I'm stumped as to:

1) why the regex won't match '月'.
2) why the substitution is carried out, but the result isn't in UTF8, nor is it UTF8 re-encoded in UTF8 (uncomment #require Encode; ........... #Encode::decode_utf8($_); to test this )

The binmode() calls you've included tell Perl that the data coming from and going to those file handles is UTF8 encoded.

But, you have UTF8-encoded text in your code, too. To tell Perl about that, you need to use the "use utf8;" pragma.

sherm--