On Nov 30, 2005, at 5:57 PM, James Harvard wrote:

Attempting to either install DBI (using cpan or running make etc myself) or build my own copy of Perl from source (when running Configure) I get an error from the ld tool.

I've applied the "env MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3" patch to / System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Config.pm , which seemed to fix the DBI installation problem for many people.

Mac OS 10.3.9, with Apple's developer tools installed (default installation - assume I don't need the other stuff).

The full explanation can be found in the archives:

        <http://www.mail-archive.com/macosx@perl.org/msg07563.html>

In a nutshell, some files may be missing if you do a "clean" install of Panther & its bundled developer tools. There a variety of upgrade paths that can result in these files still being present from an older install, so the problem doesn't bite everyone.

The solution is to go to Apple's developer site <http:// developer.apple.com> and download the latest Panther Xcode package.

To install from source I was following the instructions at http:// developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/perl.html

Those instructions are *way* outdated, and not very useful even for Jaguar. Simply following the standard build instructions and accepting all of the defaults is the best way to a trouble-free install.

sherm--