On Dec 21, 2005, at 5:03 PM, James Harvard wrote:

Don't worry - this isn't some sort of spam for an elixir of youth!

Is there any sort of timeout on Perl scripts? Will they just run until they return or are killed?

there is no internal timer that will stop the process.
This is why perl is used as a daemon in various instances.

Sorry if this seems a daft question, but the language I am used to (Lasso - web application middleware) will kill any thread that runs for more than x amount of time, unless it's told not to.

Also, how about DBI connections - any timeout there? Basically I want to leave a Perl script supervising a non-trivial import process into a MySQL db. (There are many GB of data to go in, which needs to be put into a intermediary table then have joins done to split it into related tables with all the correct foreign keys etc.)

The only time out that you would need to worry about would be
the usual network time outs. Some of them will detach connections
if they believe that they are not active...

so go for it.

ciao
drieux

----