Anyone know?

I've looked around on the web, and it looks like I'm playing with edge-of-the-world stuff and rather OS and browser dependent.

The source I'm working with:

    http://reiisi.homedns.org/~joel/cs/ranbunhyou/withfile2.text
    http://reiisi.homedns.org/~joel/cs/ranbunhyou/requester2.html

Both have shift-JIS mixed in, but everything in Japanese is duplicated in English.

The form tag:

<form action="http://reiisi.homedns.org/~joel/cs/ranbunhyou/cgi/withfile2"; method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data; charset="Shift_JIS" accept-charset="Shift_JIS">

The charset in the enctype seems to make the textarea field work intermittently, the accept-charset makes the textarea field work reliably independent of the charset in the enctype. The charset reported by the debug print always comes out ISO-8859-1 even when it works, so I think that's a red-herring.

The test file that contains Japanese to show the problem is Sample_questions.text. The linked file works fine, The contents of the linked file pasted into the textarea works fine. It's just the file upload that does not.

(The reason I'm using shift-jis is that the bulk of Japanese documents remain in shift-jis, and most people operate by default in the encoding that the bulk of their files are stored in.)

My partial explanation of what the code is doing is at

    http://reiisi.homedns.org/~joel/cs/ranbunhyou/

(And, yeah, I know I'm using some archaic techniques. It's what I know or can find in my old references, and/or what I hope will run with modules in the standard distribution. Criticism welcome.)

joel rees