I don't recall those questions at all, however it is not at all obvious that 'HEAD' is going to replace 'head'. I'm not sure I understand the earlier comment about case insensitive filesystems. Certainly, OS X is not case insensitive at the CLI level, although 'Finder' is.

That's complete nonsense, as the simplest test will show:

        ~ sherm$ echo "Hello world" > head
        ~ sherm$ cat HEAD
        Hello world

HFS+ is a case-insensitive file system. Finder has nothing whatsoever to do with it - it's just a user-level file manager.

    base:~ me$ echo "hello Mac OS X mailing list" > head
    base:~ me $ cat HEAD
    cat: HEAD: No such file or directory
    base:~ me $ cat head
    hello Mac OS X mailing list
    base:~ me $

;-)

Yes, my boot volume is HFS+, and I have not moved the user directories off of it on this machine.

Explanation:

Case sensitivity is a property of the file system, which is separate from the shells (both CLI and GUI).

Current versions of Mac OS X (from at least 10.2) allow you to specify case sensitivity on both UFS and HFS+ volumes when you partition a drive. I always format all my volumes case sensitive, except for the volume I keep classic on.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change the case sensitivity when re- formatting existing partitions, and it would take more time than I want to take right now to check.

As a side note, I prefer to put /usr/local, /www, and similar stuff on separate volumes formatted UFS as much as possible. Those are also case sensitive, of course.

An even further off-topic complaint, it would be nice to be able to make an even finer cut, and put /var/log, /tmp, /var/tmp, etc. on separate partitions as damage-limiting measures, but, one, I run out of partitions when I do things like dual-boot openbsd, and, two, I won't trust Mac OS X's handling of hard or soft links to that level until /etc/fstab is respected before autodiskmount or whatever it's called kicks in. I've got swap on a separate partition on one of my old machines with limited hard disk space, and it definitely speeds that old machine up, but I don't recommend playing those tricks on a machine that I want to load arbitrary applications on.

(Any Apple people reading the list, please note that there are good reasons for allowing /etc/fstab to do its job.)