If you want to adjust the line ends in the files have a look at:

<ftp://ftp.macnauchtan.com/Software/LineEnds/FixEndsFolder.sit>  52 kB
<ftp://ftp.macnauchtan.com/Software/LineEnds/ReadMe_fixends.txt>  4 kB

Yeah. It's pretty easy in perl too.

I have on occasion, read the first few hundred characters of a file and then
searched for \n and \r and \r\n. From that I make a guess and reopen the file
for line by line reading after setting $/ to what I found.

If you slurp in the whole string you can play with

$option1 = split /\n/, $thedata;
$option2 = split /\r/, $thedata;

Which option has the most elements?

split /(\r|\n)/, $thedata; # is an idea I just had. I wonder?
--

--> Science is the business of discovering and codifying the rules and methods
employed by the Intelligent Designer. Religions provide myths to mollify the