On 2006/11/26, at 0:00, Sherm Pendley wrote:

On Nov 25, 2006, at 2:28 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

Expat must be installed prior to building XML::Parser and I can't find
it in the standard library directories. You can download expat from:

Can anyone tell me why cpan can't find the expat libraries in /usr/ local/lib?

/usr/local/lib is not in the default search path for Mac OS X.

Hmm. That explains this:

-----------------------------------
beast:/usr/local/share family$ /usr/local/bin/perl -e 'for (@INC) { print $_ . "\n" }'
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/darwin-2level
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/darwin-2level
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
.
------------------------------------

or what variable I must have walked on to make perl forget that it was installed under /usr/local ?

Did you add -L/usr/local/lib to the default linker flags when you built your Perl?

I was assuming that, since it would default to linking the executables under /usr/local/bin that putting /usr/local/lib in the search path would just be common sense. But I see from
------------------------------------
beast:/usr/local/share family$ perl -e 'for (@INC) { print $_ . "\n" }'
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.6
/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/Library/Perl/5.8.6
/Library/Perl
/Network/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/Network/Library/Perl/5.8.6
/Network/Library/Perl
/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.6
/Library/Perl/5.8.1
.
that /usr/lib isn't in the stock perl's library path either.

Okay, so what's the usual thing to do with stuff like expat? Build expat to install under site_perl/5.8.8/ (or site_perl/5.8.8/expat?) or maybe link the already installed libraries in there? Or build everything that depends on it by hand?

I hate to admit it, for all the behaving like I know what I'm doing, but I seem to be flying blind here. (Blame it on my wife for not being willing to put up with being a computer widow, maybe, but that wouldn't really be either very fair or very accurate. I'm just lazy or slow or both.)

Hmm. I'm going to try linking the expat libraries under, ... what? / usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl since there's no /usr/local/lib/perl5/ Extras? And which should I link in?

Isn't there a way to just tell CPAN to tell the build scripts to add / usr/local/lib to @INC ?