sw/ is specifically choosen
as _not_ a common location, so that it doesn't interfere with anything you might have put in the common locations. (Or that Apple might put there.)

Just for the record, I've never seen anything from Apple put under / usr/local .

My observation is that most software is set up by default to install under /usr/local if you get it from the original source, but if you get it downstream, it will tend to get installed elsewhere. If your distro has "official distro package" versions (customized for the distro), those will tend to go under /usr . In the case of fink, they are neither official distro (Apple) nor the original source, and the packages are almost invariably customized, so it would make sense to put them under a third tree, thus, /sw .

Mind you, I don't use fink, I generally tend to go to the source. I'm kind of weird that way. (And then I have to bug Sherm to explain why things don't work for me. Heh.)