Um, apache2 rocks. It has a much better configuration layout, particularly for virtual hosts, and is a more secure web server. Once you get used to it you'll agree.

Well, I just use it for a couple old scripts and some static html pages for personal use, so whatever advantage it may have is lost on me. The least they could have done is keep apache1 as an option, or convert my httpd.conf as part of the Leopard upgrade like they do for the data or configuration files of other upgraded programs. It is strange that if, as you say, a 'normal' Apache2 installation doesn't use httpd.conf, Apple decided to use it anyway for some reason, yet not to carry over any info from Tiger. I wonder why they even bothered to fork it.

Well I know that CGI.pm has tools to limit the size of uploads, or more specifically tools for controlling uploaded files as they get spooled to disk, but it appears that you did not change those settings so I am not sure if that is your problem or not. Here are some things you can add to your perl script to get more information:

I didn't see anything in the documentation about controlling uploaded files as they're spooled, other than the '-private_tempfiles' security pragma which I doubt would apply here. $POST_MAX and $DISABLE_UPLOADS are set to their defaults of no max and uploads enabled. The Leopard upgrade itself probably included a newer version of CGI.pm than I had before, and after discovering this problem I upgraded to 3.37 from Leopard's 3.15 just to see if that would help, but the results and log messages are identical in either case.

Use Carp, diagnostics, and warnings, if you haven't already:

use warnings
use diagnostics
use CGI::Carp 'fatalsToBrowser'

You can change the type and amount of messages your error log receives in the httpd.conf file for your specific domain - I think the default is "warn", but you can set higher levels which might give you some more info, look for this stanza:


Set it to info or debug for more info on errors.

My script already had those 3 modules turned on -- forgot to comment them out lo those many years ago since I haven't had an error in ages. I did change the Apache logging to 'debug' as you suggested but all it added were a few messages about scoreboard files, module loading and the routine launching of child processes.


Reply via email to