On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Packy Anderson <packyander...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Alan Fry <a...@afco.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> However for the life of me I cannot find the file
>> 'com.apple.versioner.perl.plist' on that machine. It is not in
>> /Library/Preferences. What am I missing?
>>

> Did you also look under ~/Library/Preferences?

It's ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.perl.plist

Here's how you prove it, and any other questions like this:

1/ In one Terminal window, run `sudo filebyproc.d | grep -i plist`
2/ In another Terminal window, run the defaults command in question
3/ In the original window, hit ctrl-C to cancel, then examine the results.

Here's what filebyproc.d reported for me:

$ sudo filebyproc.d | grep -i plist
dtrace: script '/usr/bin/filebyproc.d' matched 3 probes
  1  18510                       open:entry backupd-helper
/private/var/db/.TimeMachine.Results.plist
dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 1 (ID 19296:
syscall::open_nocancel:entry): invalid address (0x7fff5fc2dc7f) in
action #2 at DIF offset 24
  1  19296              open_nocancel:entry defaults
/Users/cdevers/Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.perl.plist.GWghJmY
  1  18510                       open:entry mdworker
/Users/cdevers/Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.perl.plist
$

Tweak the grep filter as needed and you can use this trick to isolate
all kinds of weird "what file is that damned thing looking at" type
questions.

--
Chris Devers