At 18:49 +0200 2002.05.23, Thomas Wegner wrote:
>Great, thanks much for your work. I'm now a proud owner of MacPerl 5.7.3
>:-). But puh, 14 MB to download -- I'm not amused.

Dang, that is big.  I don't know why.  Not much I can do about it -- unless
there's something in there that shouldn't be, that I missed -- except for
maybe use DropStuff 6 instead of 4.x next time (I find certain things in
5/6 buggy, so I still use 4 for most things).

>HTML::Parser won't build, because the file "hctype.h" is empty, so I had to
>run
>
>     perl mkhctype > hctype.h
>
>to create a valid header file. I can't explain why this file was empty, so you
>may want to check this. The rest of the built went fine.

Hm.  Odd.  I'll figure it out.  It worked the other night when I did a
fresh build.

>Then, with a fresh perl tool in my hands, I've run some scripts and got an
>unexpected warning from File::Copy. Here you'll find the following lines:
>
>my $macfiles;
>if ($^O eq 'MacOS') {
>       $macfiles = eval { require Mac::MoreFiles };
>       warn 'Mac::MoreFiles could not be loaded; using non-native syscopy'
>               if $^W;         #  <===
>}
>
>IMHO (please correct me, if I'm wrong), that should better be
>
>my $macfiles;
>if ($^O eq 'MacOS') {
>       undef $@;
>       $macfiles = eval { require Mac::MoreFiles };
>       warn 'Mac::MoreFiles could not be loaded; using non-native syscopy'
>               if ($@ && $^W );
>}
>
>This way, you'll not get a warning, when Mac::MoreFiles is correctly
>installed,
>right?

Yessir.  Dunno how that got through.  I'll take a look and patch appropriately.

>Next, I've built MacPerl.MrC -- no problem. Building MacPerl.SC failed, as
>expected. I've got the following link error:
>
>### Link: Error: Type information larger than a page. Try using the -pg
>option: (Error 87) A type ('interpreter') was too big to write
>
>I think I've found a solution for this problem. As the error message suggests,
>I've used the -pg switch, which sets the SYM page size. The size is 4096 by
>default. So I've doubled the size to 8192, and afterwards, linking went
>fine --
>hurra. I'll send a patch to :macperl:Makefile.mk in a separate message.

Thanks.  Matthias also suggested turning off symbolic debugging (-sym off),
but I never got that far.

>So, these are my first impressions and remarks. Now, some testing is in order,
>I think.

:)

Thanks,

--