At 13:47 Uhr +0200 2002.05.31, Thomas Wegner wrote: (replying to myself)
>Good morning,
>
>here are (proposed) patches for lib.t and lib_pm.PL. To apply or not
>to apply, that's the question here :-).
>Do VMS et al. allow native paths in @INC? I don't know, but I hope so.

[patches sniped]

Oh oh, I've made a mistake. The patched documentation says :

>NOTE
>
>Prior to Perl version 5.8.0, the lib module only worked with Unix filepaths.
>This restriction has been removed. We now use File::Spec internally to create
>platform specific paths.  Thus, there's no need to translate file
>paths to Unix
>conventions.  However, if you want to, this still works, e.g.:
>
>     # VMS users wanting to put [.stuff.moo] into
>     # their @INC could write
>     use lib 'stuff/moo';

Of course, this doesn't work. You *must* use platform specific paths,
because File::Spec->catdir internally can't deal with mixed platform
paths. Hence, the documentation is wrong. The code is still good, but
would break existing scripts, in cases where e.g. VMS users have
passed translated file paths to lib.

We could make the use of native paths a Mac OS only thing (and
document this accordingly), but this would break existing MacPerl
scripts. Not sure what to do. (I may be inclined to ignore it for
now, too :) Ideas?

Best regards,

--Thomas