> On Mar 3, 2016, at 12:03 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dl...@geeklair.net> wrote:
>
> On Mar 3, 2016, at 11:26 AM, Juan Manuel Palacios <j...@macports.org> wrote:
>> The approach I suggested wouldn’t change layout in any way. apache2 would be
>> obsoleted and replaced by apache22, which would be the exact same port as
>> the previous apache2. Parallel to that, apache24-devel would be obsoleted
>> and replaced by apache24, which again would be the exact same port as the
>> one it’s replacing. This would create suite of Apache ports similar to what
>> we now have for MySQL, i.e. mysql51, mysql55, mysql56, etc.
>
> I don't think there's a compelling need to keep apache22 around.

I’m sure there’s a lot of people running Apache 2.2 whose systems (probably
highly customized configurations) would break if we did that without some kind
of transition, because it’d definitely be a backwards-incompatible change

> If there is, I think it's reasonable to have apache2 be the upstream
> recommended apache 2 (2.4.x)

But this would not be possible without the backwards incompatible change,
because even if we introduce apache22, the plain apache2 would move from 2.2 to
2.4, which I don’t think we should do, at least not without some kind of
transition.

- jmpp