On Sep 16, 2016, at 10:44 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> I don't think the change was retroactive
>
> (for example, Apple Store lists Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard -
> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard )

You're right, I'm wrong. I was trying to be lazy and not have to remember which
name to use for which version, but a friend of mine working at Apple confirmed
that one should refer to the OS by its correct historical name. I found many
examples of Apple not doing that, but that's wrong too. Correct usage is:

- macOS 10.12
- Mac OS X 10.5 or later
- OS X 10.9 or earlier

When referring to the OS generically without a version number, one should say
"the Mac operating system" (not abbreviating "operating system" to "OS"); that
seems cumbersome to me so I'll probably try to always use a version number.

The marketing name changed to "OS X" in 10.7 (even though they didn't change it
in "About This Mac" until 10.8).