>>> [citation needed] ;-)
>>
>> Gladly. I have written a small script to check that. Here are a few of
>> the results (of some tools I work with/run on a daily basis):
>>
>> ghc
>> MacPorts version: 7.8.3_4
>> Homebrew version: 8.0.1
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/48899
>
> I don't see a patch attached there, but I imagine one could look at the
> homebrew recipe and pull out what is necessary?
>
>> fontforge
>> MacPorts version: 20120731_3
>> Homebrew version: 20161001
>> pandoc
>> MacPorts version: 1.12.4.2_1
>> Homebrew version: 1.17.2
>
> both of these are nomaintainer - we'd be happy to have you maintain the ports
> if you're interested in keeping them updated
>
>> mutt
>> MacPorts version: 1.6.0_1
>> Homebrew version: 1.7.0
>
> % port info mutt
> mutt @1.6.0_1 (mail)
> Replaced by:          neomutt

> Homepage:             https://www.macports.org/
>
> Platforms:            darwin
> License:              unknown
> Maintainers:          nomaintai...@macports.org
>
> (neomutt is @20161002)
>
>> boost
>> MacPorts version: 1.59.0_2
>> Homebrew version: 1.62.0
>>
>> fdupes
>> MacPorts version: 1.51
>> Homebrew version: 1.6.1
>>
>> imapsync
>> MacPorts version: 1.684
>> Homebrew version: 1.727
>>
>> notmuch
>> MacPorts version: 0.22.2
>> Homebrew version: 0.23
>>
>> sqlmap
>> MacPorts version: 0.9_1
>> Homebrew version: 1.0.10
>
> (I'm too lazy to look up why all of these might not be up to the current
> version - hopefully you've opened tickets [with patches wherever possible] on
> any of these you care about).

>>> That doesn't necessarily fix the problem. It's worth noting that there
>>> already is a plan to transition to github.
>>
>> Why is that?
>
> moving to GitHub doesn't magically make more interested parties make quality
> contributions.

I agree that moving to github is not going to suddenly make people where not
not previously looking for a packaging system for OSX suddenly start using
macports. However, I completely agree with Marcel that moving to github will
mean if someone does find their way to macports they will be more likely to
stay and contribute, as the chances are they will already be familiar with git,
as thats what the cool kids do these days. Currently, once they find out about
svn, and trac, and yes i agree the little tired looking web pages, i suspect
they are more likely to drift away. So the move to git will help.

Chris