On 10 November 2016 at 10:43, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> How complicated would it be to set up the fork such that you can put custom
> ports in the default branch, and set up another branch to track the official
> ports tree? I have a hunch that it shouldn't be too hard to do in .git/config
> once you know exactly what to change.

It's not any more complicated. I'm not sure about the proper
configuration, but any local branch can track any remote branch or you
can manually pull from one remote branch to an arbitrary local one.

> This would allow me to maintain a branch with my own ports (and possibly
> additional things like a README) and check out my fork on any of the 3+
> machines where I want to deploy that customised port tree, while still being
> able to sync with the official ports tree.

On your personal fork you can make any branch the default one and then
that one will be displayed when a random web user navigates to your
repository anyway. Similarly you can checkout any given branch on any
of your 3+ machines. And you can change the names of branches at any
later time.

So basically any option is possible. Even you have a local branch that
you call "whatever-master" that keeps a copy of the "proper" master or
you have "my-perfect-branch" that you use by default on all your
machines.

Mojca