On Apr 12, 2018, at 18:02, Jack Howarth wrote:

> Okay. I was confused as to whether the installer contained the complete ports
> repo or if it had to download that from the servers. I'm used to fink where
> the installer only provides a core set of the base package files and the rest
> have to be obtained from their servers.

MacPorts is the same. The installer installs the base code, and then runs "sudo
port selfupdate" which updates base to the latest version *and* downloads the
collection of portfiles. The collection of portfiles is not tied to a specific
version of MacPorts, but is meant to always be used with the latest (or nearly
the latest) version of MacPorts.