David,

the idea is creating a dependency chain:

Port rust (version 1.66) depends on rust-1.65 to be build;
Port rust-1.65 depends on rust-1.64 to be build;
Port rust-1.64 depends on rust-1.63 to be build;
Port rust-1.56 depends on rust-1.55 to be build;
Port rust-1.55 depends on rust-1.54 to be build;
Port rust-1.54 depends on mrsutc to be build.

:)

When someone would like to add rust 1.67, he need to add port rust-1.66 which
should be used as bootstrap compiler.

I hate this way, but it is the only way to bootstrap it from scratch.

When mrust had support new rust, we may cut the tree by removing a lot of
unused ports.

--
wbr, Kirill