On Oct 19, 2007, at 3:34 PM, Lenore Horner wrote:

Sure, but is that now going to mess up his perl5.8 port?
Lenore

On Oct 19, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

On Oct 19, 2007, at 3:08 PM, Mack Johnson wrote:
trying to install gimp and I get this error. Can you tell me how to fix this?

You must install or activate this package with '-f' (force) as it needs to overwrite files installed by the perl5.8 port

This line that you pasted has your answer:

port -f activate p5-pathtools

--->  Installing p5-pathtools 3.25_0
--->  Activating p5-pathtools 3.25_0
Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/ local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/darwin-2level/auto/Cwd/Cwd.bs is being used by the active perl5.8 port. Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f flag to force the activation. Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gimp2 libgnomeui libbonoboui libbonobo p5-getopt-long p5-pathtools popt libgnome esound audiofile gnome-vfs gconf gnome-mime-data howl neon openssl libgnomecanvas gail libglade2 libgtkhtml libmng autoconf help2man p5-locale-gettext libtool m4 automake lcms librsvg libcroco libgsf libwmf poppler poppler-data py25-gtk py25- cairo py25-numeric python25 py25-gobject

No it shouldnt mess up pear. It will just update this file.
BTW bottom posting is easier to read....... ;)