On Apr 20, 2008, at 7:24 AM, Peter Eddy wrote:

Hello, I ran into the error below trying to install git and cogito. My
ports installation was a mess, so I deleted it and started again with
a fresh install. Same problem. Any ideas?

thanks,
Peter

--->  Fetching cogito
--->  Attempting to fetch cogito-0.18.2.tar.bz2 from
http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/cogito/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for cogito
--->  Extracting cogito
--->  Applying patches to cogito
--->  Configuring cogito
--->  Building cogito with target all
--->  Staging cogito into destroot
Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/ _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel _cogito/work/cogito-0.18.2"
&& gnumake install prefix=/opt/local
DESTDIR=/opt/local/var/macports/build/ _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel _cogito/work/destroot
" returned error 2
Command output: m755 -d
/opt/local/var/macports/build/ _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel _cogito/work/destroot/opt/local/bin
gnumake: m755: Command not found

[snip]

Are you on Leopard? If so, can you please just try running "sudo port install cogito" (or whatever command you executed) again?

The cogito makefile is trying to do this:

$(INSTALL) -m755 -d $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)

In your case, "$(INSTALL)" seems to be empty and so it's trying to take the next word ("m755") as a command name, which it isn't. (Why the "-" before "m755" is missing I don't know.) This (various software packages not finding the programs they need to compile) has happened to many Leopard users for reasons we don't understand, and just trying it a second time has always resolved it so far.