On May 13, 2008, at 1:54 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Apr 20, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

[about the Leopard problem where some ports fail to install properly with a seemingly endless variety of bizarre error messages if installing them causes a dependency to be installed first, but the port succeeds if you try the install a second time (because now it has no dependencies to install)]

Thanks for the analysis! I added a link to your explanation to
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/LeopardProblems

Do we really not have a macports base ticket for this issue yet? I couldn't find one but maybe I'm searching wrong. We need one so that we can mark all the other port bugs that are cropping up as duplicates of it.

Oh, yeah, this issue. It's coming from a patch in tcl-64 [1] which patches Tcl to use putenv() for handling the environment. I filed a radar [2] with Apple and it was closed as a dup so they definitely know about it, and maybe 10.5.3 (maybe not since it's pretty close?) or 10.5.4 and we shouldn't have to worry about this anymore.

Bryan

[1] - http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5.2/tcl-64/
[2] - rdar://problem/5878954