Darren Weber wrote:

I've been working with macports under the mis-apprehension that it would operate along the lines of freeBSD (and some frustration may arise mostly from that lack of understanding). I decided that it's time for me to do some long-overdue homework. I've been working mostly with linux (and developed a preference for Debian-Ubuntu), so I need to get educated about BSD, as macports seems to follow that model (to some extent).

Not only MacPorts, but also Mac OS X is closer to FreeBSD than to Linux. On the other hand, many of the tools in use (such as bash or make) are from GNU, so it's something of a mix between BSD and GNU...

For the really adventurous, it's even possible to install MacPorts on FreeBSD and on GNU/Linux. There are packages available for FreeBSD, Fedora and Ubuntu. Not many ports, but "base" should still run.

--anders