On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Rainer M?ller wrote

It took me some time to learn to live with separate installations of
python, am I going to have to do something similar with apache? If so, any
advice on how to avoid conflicts between the stock OSX apache and the
macports installation?

Disable the builtin apache server in the System Preferences and use
MacPorts instead. What other kind of conflicts do you expect? :-)

Rainer,

Thanks for responding. I'm wondering

1. if the macports installation will create a new Sites directory where my existing pages will have to be moved, or will my web directory be able to remain in the same location.

2. if my existing PHP 5.2.6 will have to be removed (and how would I do that anyway) and the ports version installed instead?

3. After disabling the builtin apache server in the System Preferences, do I enable the new version installed by macports? Will I still be able to use the Sharing prefs pane for this?