On Mar 20, 2012, at 20:58, Dave Curtis wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> The short answer is that you need to rebuild libiconv +universal, or follow
>>> the Migration instructions if applicable. This has come up so often on the
>>> list and in the issue tracker since Snow Leopard's release three years ago
>>> that it's time for me to write a ProblemHotlist entry for it. I'll reply
>>> here again when I've written it.
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#libiconv-version
>>
> No joy. What else could be going on here?
>
> Why is there both a 1.14_0 and a 1.14_0+universal build of libiconv,

Because you probably originally had a non-universla libiconv, and now you're
trying to install wxpython which requires a 32-bit build, therefore a universal
build is being installed.

> and why does wxpython force the use of the +universal variant?    (As
> mentioned in my original post, the +universal variant seems to come in
> through ncurses)

wxpython does not support 64-bit. But Snow Leopard and later build 64-bit by
default. So wxpython 32-bit cannot be installed when its dependencies such as
libiconv are installed 64-bit only. Therefore MacPorts will rebuild all of
wxpython's dependencies universal, on the assumption that your universal_archs
are set to x86_64 and i386, which will result in a 32-bit and 64-bit universal
build.

See next reply....