On 18 Mar 2014, at 3:00 am, macports-users-requ...@lists.macosforge.org wrote:

>> Well yes, of course. I was thinking as much as a test, to see if its the
>> optimisations that are the issue, as it is for me, than as a solution. In my
>> case i simply could not compile at all without -O0... without it, the memory
>> usage hit around 9GB before being killed by our nightly regression testing
>> framework. If your case is not so bad and you can get by, then fine....
>>

>>> Anyway, on #calligra someone just claimed he got about 1200MB peak memory
>>> usage building gmic.cpp with Apple's clang-3.4 . If someone else can
>>> confirm that the issue is rather moot (meaning I can continue to use g++
>>> for just this file on 10.6 ... )
>
> I've just been testing this a bit on my 10.9.2 VM with the latest Xcode (5.1,
> clang 3.4svn) installed. That VM has only 2.5GB of RAM (which it sees as 4GB,
> curiously). Still, gmic.cpp compiles much better with clang++ on that set-up
> (haven't tested clang-mp-3.3) though g++ still uses less memory (1.2 vs 1.4GB
> real peak) and completes about twice as quick. However, things go downhill
> again with clang 3.5 (from MacPorts). I've seen a peak real mem. usage of
> 1.75GB, and it is now sitting at <10%CPU with around 200MB real memory, but
> with "red" memory pressure and 1.72GB total compressed memory.
>
> If you feel like filing reports against a current clang version, you might
> want to check the 3.5 version on your code...

Somewhat OT so would you mind mailing me directly (unless of interest here)
I’ve tried a few times to install a VM on my iMac 27. I dont recall detail but
every install failed with VirtualBox *except* the hacked snow leopard install
that I can install on any hardware …
Snow_Leopard_Client_Server_10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard.iso

So … what did you do and how?
Thanks
James