On May 8, 2014, at 23:14, Jerry wrote:

> Octave has failed to install (once again), this time into a fresh MacPorts
> established according to the Migration advice given at
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration onto a new installation of Mavericks.
>
> I did:
> sudo port install octave +atlas+docs+fltk+gcc48
>
> The first attempt failed after not finding Java. I was asked (by the port
> command, apparently) to install Java by clicking Install on a dialog box. I
> then re-ran the above port install command and it ran for a while and then
> stopped thusly (I have included a few lines before the problem):
>

> --->  Fetching archive for qrupdate
> --->  Attempting to fetch qrupdate-1.1.2_2+atlas+gcc48.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2
> from http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/qrupdate
> --->  Attempting to fetch
> qrupdate-1.1.2_2+atlas+gcc48.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from
> http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/qrupdate
> --->  Installing qrupdate @1.1.2_2+atlas+gcc48
> --->  Activating qrupdate @1.1.2_2+atlas+gcc48
> --->  Cleaning qrupdate
> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: epstool ghostscript
> xorg-libXext xorg-libX11 xorg-libxcb doxygen graphviz gd2 xpm xorg-libXt gts
> netpbm libLASi pango Xft2 xrender cairo xorg-xcb-util gobject-introspection
> harfbuzz poppler xorg-libXaw groff xorg-libXmu texlive texlive-basic
> texlive-bin harfbuzz-icu xorg-libXp texlive-bin-extra dvipng latexmk
> texlive-latex pdfjam texlive-latex-recommended pgf texlive-context
> texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-math-extra texlive-metapost texlive-xetex
> texlive-generic-recommended texlive-fontutils lcdf-typetools ps2eps
> texlive-lang-czechslovak texlive-lang-english texlive-lang-european
> texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-italian
> texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-portuguese texlive-lang-spanish
> texlive-luatex texlive-plain-extra texlive-latex-extra texlive-pictures
> gnuplot pstoedit ImageMagick transfig
> To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
> Error: Processing of port octave failed
>

> There is no indication of what went wrong, only that the installation failed.
> Running the port install command again results in the same thing, after first
> computing and printing the dependencies for Octave.

It means there is a circular dependency. MacPorts cannot handle circular
dependencies.

In this case, it's because you asked for the +docs variant.

See: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37604

To get around it, you can install without the +docs variant. Then, after that
succeeds, you can reinstall with the +docs variant.