On May 9, 2014, at 6:13 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:

> On May 8, 2014, at 23:14, Jerry wrote:
>
>> Octave has failed to install (once again), this time into a fresh MacPorts
>> established according to the Migration advice given at
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration onto a new installation of
>> Mavericks.
>>
>> I did:
>> sudo port install octave +atlas+docs+fltk+gcc48
>>
>> The first attempt failed after not finding Java. I was asked (by the port
>> command, apparently) to install Java by clicking Install on a dialog box. I
>> then re-ran the above port install command and it ran for a while and then
>> stopped thusly (I have included a few lines before the problem):
>>

>> --->  Fetching archive for qrupdate
>> --->  Attempting to fetch qrupdate-1.1.2_2+atlas+gcc48.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2
>> from http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/qrupdate
>> --->  Attempting to fetch
>> qrupdate-1.1.2_2+atlas+gcc48.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from
>> http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/qrupdate
>> --->  Installing qrupdate @1.1.2_2+atlas+gcc48
>> --->  Activating qrupdate @1.1.2_2+atlas+gcc48
>> --->  Cleaning qrupdate
>> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: epstool ghostscript
>> xorg-libXext xorg-libX11 xorg-libxcb doxygen graphviz gd2 xpm xorg-libXt gts
>> netpbm libLASi pango Xft2 xrender cairo xorg-xcb-util gobject-introspection
>> harfbuzz poppler xorg-libXaw groff xorg-libXmu texlive texlive-basic
>> texlive-bin harfbuzz-icu xorg-libXp texlive-bin-extra dvipng latexmk
>> texlive-latex pdfjam texlive-latex-recommended pgf texlive-context
>> texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-math-extra texlive-metapost texlive-xetex
>> texlive-generic-recommended texlive-fontutils lcdf-typetools ps2eps
>> texlive-lang-czechslovak texlive-lang-english texlive-lang-european
>> texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-italian
>> texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-portuguese texlive-lang-spanish
>> texlive-luatex texlive-plain-extra texlive-latex-extra texlive-pictures
>> gnuplot pstoedit ImageMagick transfig
>> To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>>   http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
>> Error: Processing of port octave failed
>>

>> There is no indication of what went wrong, only that the installation
>> failed. Running the port install command again results in the same thing,
>> after first computing and printing the dependencies for Octave.
>
> It means there is a circular dependency. MacPorts cannot handle circular
> dependencies.
>
> In this case, it's because you asked for the +docs variant.
>
> See: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37604
>
> To get around it, you can install without the +docs variant. Then, after that
> succeeds, you can reinstall with the +docs variant.

Thanks, Ryan. Light testing of Octave indicates that it is currently working.
However, at least some of the dependencies indicated in the list above ("Error:
The following dependencies were not installed:...") are in fact not
installed--but some are. For some reason Octave needs texlive and it is not
installed. Some parts of texlive e.g. texlive-bin are installed but others are
not. Obviously I can install texlive separately but I'm wondering if something
went wrong.

Do you think something went wrong, i.e, will I find some of these dependencies
missing later? Do you think your recipe above (install Octave without +docs,
then with +docs) will fix any problems?

Thanks,
Jerry