On 6/23/15 4:51 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 3:30 PM, Christopher David Ramos wrote:
>
>>> I don't think you understand what Git is.
>>>
>>> Git is not a "platform" by any reasonable definition of the
>>> word. It's a version control system: a tool that allows content
>>> creators (usually software developers) to organize and
>>> distribute their work (usually source code). Git has nothing to
>>> do with compiling or installing; as Ryan already said, a
>>> project's choice of version control does not affect how it builds
>>> and works (Git submodules and such notwithstanding). A project
>>> that interferes with MacPorts will do so whether you retrieve it
>>> with Git or Mercurial or Subversion or curl or wget or Safari or
>>> lynx or floppy disk.
>>
>> Sorry, my understanding of the relevant vernacular is far from
>> perfect. I do understand, however, that git is about version
>> control of, usually, source code. That said, if building the
>> source code of any given git project leads to conflicts with
>> Macports, doesn't that constitute an undesirable conflict? Not just
>> for end-users but for the Macports project leaders. Still, I think
>> the Macports version of git should have some mechanism, or some
>> warning -- something -- to warn or prevent conflicts between
>> Macports and git projects.
>>
>> Maybe you are saying that one should not use git if one does not
>> know where downloaded projects will install files upon compilation
>> (I think the instructions are in makefiles). Fine, fair enough. My
>> counter is that the average Macports user -- myself included -- is
>> not aware of the intricacies of what Macports does behind the
>> scenes. Macports is designed to prevent conflicts between active
>> ports and, if necessary, disallow installation of ports that would
>> conflict with active ports.
>>
>>> This would not be warranted. We might as well add such warnings
>>> to any port that allows you to download a file or compile a
>>> binary.
>>
>> Most ports, I think, are the end-product -- compilation carefully
>> directed by Macports -- and do not download further files (emacs,
>> pip, etc not withstanding). This, however, is not the case with
>> git, which knows nothing about how Macports does things.
>
> There is no inherent conflict between MacPorts and any given
> software downloaded with git. Rather, there is (apparently, from what
> you've told us) a conflict between MacPorts and the specific software
> you downloaded with git, but that conflict would have been present
> regardless of how you downloaded the software; it has nothing at all
> to do with git. Git is just a program that lets you download things.
> It has no knowledge of whether those things you download are going
> to conflict with other parts of your system.

You are paraphrasing what I just said.

My understanding is that Macport ports install there own libraries under
the path prefix "/opt/local/" so as to prevent conflicts with and
reliance out of date Apple libraries. Are you saying that it was only a
fluke that a git project would have built files into Macports created
directories? Or was it a fluke that Macports was confused by
non-Macports libraries despite the use of tracemode?

--
Christopher David Ramos
www.paxperscientiam.com