On Jun 24, 2015, at 2:31 PM, Christopher Ramos <chrisdavidra...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "You can systematically avoid it by letting the operating system's
> security do its thing: Don't use superuser privileges to build
> software, and don't use them to install unless you know what it's
> going to do."
>
> Wow, you know, wow. Now you have me wondering if I've gotten too
> comfortable using sudo.

As a rule, you should not use sudo unless you're pretty sure that you
know why you need it. The operating system already has a solution for
keeping one user's processes from scribbling over files owned by another
user. Try to take advantage of it.

(Admittedly, accidents do happen. Ryan just brought up a not-uncommon
circumstance: Sometimes third-party developers use MacPorts to create
installers for distribution, but they don't use a custom prefix, so the
installers scribble into /opt/local — usually after asking you for admin
authentication.)

vq