> On Sep 11, 2016, at 2:41 AM, David Epstein <david.epst...@warwick.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> I ran the suggested find command and double checked that all the entries are
> broken symlinks. Ideally I would like to get rid of all of them, but safely.
> From my point of view, the danger is that these filenames occur in some
> different list in /opt/local, unknown to me, and that this list would be
> corrupted if I simply delete the broken symlinks using /bin/rm .

I don't think "port select" registers its links anywhere.

These files are created by the python select group. You ought to be able to
delete them.

> /opt/local/bin/2to3
> /opt/local/bin/idle
> /opt/local/bin/pydoc
> /opt/local/bin/python
> /opt/local/bin/python-config
> /opt/local/bin/pythonw
> /opt/local/bin/smtpd.py
> /opt/local/etc/select/python/current
> /opt/local/man/man1/python.1
> /opt/local/share/man/man1/python.1
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Headers
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Python
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Resources
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current

python3:

> /opt/local/bin/2to3-3
> /opt/local/bin/idle3
> /opt/local/bin/pydoc3
> /opt/local/bin/python3
> /opt/local/bin/python3-config
> /opt/local/bin/python3m
> /opt/local/bin/python3m-config
> /opt/local/bin/pyvenv
> /opt/local/etc/select/python3/current
> /opt/local/man/man1/python3.1
> /opt/local/share/man/man1/python3.1

ipython:

> /opt/local/bin/iptest
> /opt/local/bin/ipython
> /opt/local/etc/select/ipython/current
> /opt/local/share/man/man1/ipython.1

ipython2:

> /opt/local/bin/iptest2
> /opt/local/bin/ipython2
> /opt/local/etc/select/ipython2/current
> /opt/local/share/man/man1/ipython2.1

pip:

> /opt/local/bin/pip
> /opt/local/etc/select/pip/current

I initially thought that these were created by ipython and ipython2, but their
base files seem to disagree, so I don't know where these are from.

> /opt/local/man/man1/ipython.1
> /opt/local/man/man1/ipython2.1

I assume these are parts of "libpng" and "qt4-mac" or "qt4-x11". See what this
tells you:

        find -L /opt/local -type l -exec port provides {} +

> /opt/local/lib/libpng.la
> /opt/local/libexec/qt4/include/QtCLucene
> /opt/local/libexec/qt4/include/QtDesignerComponents
> /opt/local/libexec/qt4/Library/Frameworks/QtCLucene.framework/Headers

vq