On Sep 12, 2016, at 8:23 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <lar...@macports.org> wrote:

>> I would also encourage somebody to look into the need for both Xcode and
>> Command Line Tools since Xcode 7. Apple makes it quite clear on the download
>> page that Xcode now contains the CLTs, so installing both might well cause
>> issues and clearly waste valuable space.
>
> Some stubborn build systems look for stuff in /usr/include and similar
> locations and complain if they don't exist. If anything, working on the
> inverse configuration (CLT only, no Xcode) would be a better use of time.

Thanks for clearing that up (hard coding, that is) and I agree with you that
CLT only is a better use of time. I have been operating that way for the last
couple of years and have yet to run into a port that I need which actually
required Xcode, but maybe I’ve just been lucky. I see that
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29172 has been there for five years now, so I
won’t hold my breath until it happens.

-Al-
--