> On Sep 12, 2016, at 7:25 AM, David Epstein <david.epst...@warwick.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> When I now run
>> sudo find -L /opt/local -type l -exec port provides {} +
>
> I get
>> /opt/local/lib/libpng.la is provided by: libpng
>> /opt/local/libexec/qt4/include/QtCLucene is provided by: qt4-mac
>> /opt/local/libexec/qt4/include/QtDesignerComponents is provided by: qt4-mac
>> /opt/local/libexec/qt4/Library/Frameworks/QtCLucene.framework/Headers is
>> provided by: qt4-mac
>
> With regard to your remark about libpng, isn’t it the case that the MacPorts
> guide now indicates that it is not necessary to start from scratch when the
> OS is upgraded? Anyway, I have not been starting from scratch on MacPorts
> with recent OS upgrades. So libpng would perhaps have been left over from
> previous operating systems,. I don’t see why it would have been uninstalled.

I'm not sure where the Guide says that, but it shouldn't. We do still recommend
reinstalling after major OS upgrades.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

> I should read more documentation on “port select”. I think that “man port”
> does not give an adequate explanation, and I would welcome a pointer to
> fuller documentation about “port select”.

The new documentation system has a "port-select" manpage, but I'm not sure if
that has been released.

>>> I agree that some of the select group entry names we've chosen are not
>>> optimal in the way in which they differ from the name of the port they
>>> provide. It might be a pain to fix that at this late date.
>
> Presumably you have hard-wired this connection between a select group entry
> name and some particular Apple binary. How do I find out which Apple binary?

They're not really hardcoded. It's just that they've been out there for a
while, and presumably people are using them.

The symlinks to be created are described in a *_select port's "base" file.
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/files/base

The *_select port itself can create select entries corresponding to the
system-provided installations.
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/Portfile

The paths to the system files are described in separate files.
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/files

vq