Bachsau wrote:
Am 02.11.2016 um 23:48 schrieb Murray Eisenberg:
After upgrading from OS X El Capitan to macOS Sierra (10.12.1), I’m
following the migration steps at https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration.

Against the recommendations in that article, I discovered the easiest
way to migrate is to reinstall MacPorts base and just do a port
selfupdate && port upgrade outdated. Chances to run into problems are
minimal and much lower than going the recomended way.

The best thing that can be said for that approach is that it may well work. It doesn't always, and it wouldn't have solved the OP's problem.

Trust me, if we could safely tell people to just run 'port upgrade outdated', we would. But experience over many years of OS updates has resulted in the recommended Migration procedure. We couldn't make this stuff up if we tried; real users ran into real, often confusing, problems. So I have to disagree with your statement that the recommended way has a higher chance of running into problems.

- Josh