HFS had file IDs.  I'm not sure about HFS+.  You could open a file by its ID.

Suppose you had a file on the desktop then copied it into a folder.
Or alternatively you have a file in a folder and copy it to the
desktop.  The file IDs for each scenario will be different.

(Hope that makes sense.)
Mike Crawford, Baritone
mdcrawf...@gmail.com

      One Must Not Trifle With Wizards For It Makes Us Soggy And Hard To Light.