> On Mar 1, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht <pixi...@macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 1, 2017, at 4:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:
>> I'm just unclear why I'm the first to report this problem. Has nobody used
>> migration assistant? Or has everybody just ended up with broken
>> installations and either not realized or not bothered to report it?
>
> I have used migration assistant with the approach I mentioned, I migrated
> only my “home” account and followed the MacPorts migration instructions. If I
> ended up with broken ports I yet to notice. Perhaps we could register the
> accounts port creates along with file permissions and provide “fix
> permissions” functionality similar to Disk Utility.

I have used the Migration Assistant many times. I too only ever migrate the
real user account(s) I am interested in. I do not migrate those system level
accounts.

I then re-install Macports from scratch when moving to a new machine. I install
the ports I actually want as I need them. So I would not use the migration
instructions for this case. I also normally re-install all non-Macports
applications on a new machine and do not try to migrate them.

Cheers!
Frank