> On Mar 2, 2017, at 08:52, m...@macports.org wrote:
>

>> On Mar 1, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht <pixi...@macports.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 1, 2017, at 4:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:
>>> I'm just unclear why I'm the first to report this problem. Has nobody used
>>> migration assistant? Or has everybody just ended up with broken
>>> installations and either not realized or not bothered to report it?
>>
>> I have used migration assistant with the approach I mentioned, I migrated
>> only my “home” account and followed the MacPorts migration instructions. If
>> I ended up with broken ports I yet to notice. Perhaps we could register the
>> accounts port creates along with file permissions and provide “fix
>> permissions” functionality similar to Disk Utility.
>
> I have used the Migration Assistant many times. I too only ever migrate the
> real user account(s) I am interested in. I do not migrate those system level
> accounts.

I guess that answers one of my questions: By unchecking those checkboxes next
to those accounts/directories, you're saying that neither the account nor its
home directory get migrated?

Did you verify whether any of those accounts owned any other files -- logfiles,
directories, for example -- and what happened to them after you reinstalled
those ports on the new system, presumably resulting in those accounts now
having different ids?