> On Aug 6, 2017, at 14:59, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 4, 2017, at 20:36, Richard L. Hamilton <rlha...@smart.net> wrote:
>>
>> Some notes of mine on /usr/local:  I can't avoid /usr/local entirely, since
>> VirtualBox and Parallels install their command line tools there.
>
> Those probably won't cause problems for MacPorts.
>
>> But I can move /usr/local out of the way, for the duration of MacPorts
>> builds, as necessary.  More precisely, with System Integrity Protection
>> turned off, I moved /usr/local elsewhere (not in /usr, which is mostly
>> protected), and replaced it with a symlink to the new location.  That way, I
>> can rename what the symlink points to, without necessarily needing to leave
>> SIP turned off.
>
> Grumble... I didn't realize SIP would prevent renaming /usr/local. That's
> inconvenient.

sh-3.2$ ls -ldO /usr
drwxr-xr-x@ 16 root  wheel  restricted,hidden 544 May  4 09:08 /usr

The "restricted" flag indicates a file or directory is protected by SIP, AFAIK.

Also, in /System/Library/Sandbox/rootless.conf, there are (among others) the
lines:
                                /usr
*                               /usr/libexec/cups
*                               /usr/local
*                               /usr/share/man
*                               /usr/share/snmp

where the lines not preceded by an asterisk are protected, and the lines that
are preceded by an asterisk are exceptions to that protection.  Perhaps one
could rename /usr/local out of /usr altogether, and then back; I never tried
that with CSR enabled.  But I doubt one could e.g..  mv /usr/local
/usr/local.hold