On Sun, 1 Oct 2017, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

Err, I'd be wary of that on my box. The output includes things like "xv", "aspell", "awstats", "enscript", "gdb", "groff", "gzip" etc (and that's just a start).

Yeah, I can set them as requested, but why so many of them? I might miss a few, and delete something I wanted.

I don't know what to tell you. As far as MacPorts knows, you did not request the installation of those ports, and nothing you've installed declares a library or runtime dependency on them, so it's safe to uninstall them. If you actually want any of those ports specifically, use "sudo port setrequested" to inform MacPorts of that desire.

Then MacPorts is plainly wrong, so you could start by admitting that MacPorts may have a problem here.

I most certainly *did* get them from MacPorts; where else would I have
found them?  And it most certainly is *not* safe to remove them, because
I use them all the time (why else would I install them?).

In other words, I appear to have stumbled across an obscure MacPorts bug, yet not having enough information on hand to be able to report it properly; I merely pointed out that your claim is demonstrably incorrect.

I seem to recall pointing out another MacPorts glitch, whereby some files
suddenly disappeared after an update; I never did figure out why, but it
never happened again.

I may be fairly new to the Mac world (hence I religiously do everything by the book), but I do have over 40 years experience of bug-hunting.