Ah, so apparently the reason this met total silence was that it got lost/dropped somewhere so only I thought it was posted. Odd...

Reposted message:

From: Bill Cole <macportsusers-20171...@billmail.scconsult.com>
To: macports-users@lists.macports.org
Subject: What's the push to require the latest Perl?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 18:00:20 -0500

In regards to https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55208 :

In doing pre-upgrade due diligence I ran across this:

# port rdeps p5.24-net-dns
The following ports are dependencies of p5.24-net-dns @1.140.0_0:
  perl5.24
[...]
  p5.24-net-libidn2
    libidn2
      pkgconfig
      autoconf
        xz
      automake
      libtool
        xattr
          unzip
      libunistring
        perl5
        texinfo
          help2man
            perl5.26
            p5.26-locale-gettext

That seems unhelpful... Why would help2man demand the absolute latest Perl? Well, because the Portfile says it does. However, in the real world, help2man is happy with any perl since 5.8.

Doing a 'port -y upgrade outdated' reveals that multiple ports are threatening to demand perl5.26 if I try to upgrade them, like whois!? Because it needs perl to build???

This is insanity. Can anyone convince me otherwise or even explain how this hasn't led to an angry mob with torches and pitchforks? Because I have one of each if anyone wants to join the revolt...

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole