On 8 Jan 2018, at 13:42 (-0500), Daniel J. Luke wrote:

On Jan 8, 2018, at 1:36 PM, Bill Cole <macportsusers-20171...@billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:
I think a better approach would be to either require the p5-foo port OR (better) require path:${perl5.lib}/Foo.pm:p5.${perl5.major}-foo or (best) create a new syntax for dependencies that check for functionality, i.e. use the return value of 'perl -e "use Foo 6.66;"' to decide whether to install p5.${perl5.major}-foo @6.66 (or greater)

or most simply:

Provide one version of perl5 (whatever the current released version of perl is). Provide p5-foo ports that build with whatever the current perl5 is. There isn't a good reason to try to support multiple versions of perl5, if we didn't try to do so we could jettison all of this complexity.

An issue with that is the fact that some amount of perl5 code in the wild (often including widely-used non-core modules) is broken with each major version. This is why upstream maintains 2 major versions at a time, releasing a new version every Spring. So if MacPorts supports just one version, it would need to be the older supported version for some months after the annual release.

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole