On 26 April 2018 at 05:38, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>> On Apr 25, 2018, at 5:23 PM, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>>
>> you know, I went back and looked at my notes.
>>
>> I did in fact  build this with clang-3.4, but I overrode the cxx11 PG's
>> macports-libstdc++ changes to do it. It worked fine on Intel Tiger as well.
>> Here's the command line I used:
>>
>> sudo port -v install texlive-bin configure.compiler=macports-clang-3.4
>> configure.cxx_stdlib=libstdc++
>>

> I was hallucinating.  clang-3.9 did work on 10.5 Intel, but forcing the
> stdlib with clang-3.4 did not.
>
> At present, I can’t build texlive-bin on 10.4 Intel. Will see what can be
> done about that.

Before you waste too much time on this:
- I still claim that TeX Live 2017 should compile without C++11 by
default when you disable dvisvgm (unless C++11 is needed because of
dependency on icu, poppler, ... etc. which happen to need C++11 just
because MacPorts ships the latest version of them)
- TeX Live 2018 has basically been released, so any effort spent
towards making TL 2017 work on those older cats should better be spent
for the latest version

Riccardo, can you please try:
    sudo port -v build luajit configure.compiler=macports-gcc-6
or
    sudo port -v build luajit configure.compiler=macports-gcc-7

It should potentially lead to the same issue (it doesn't fail for me
on the latest 64-bit os though). It would be nice to isolate the
problem and report it to GCC developers.

Mojca