> > other strings such as ‘macportshost’ instead of ‘host’ would make it a lot
> > easier to find where they have been used so you know what to change

It’s already trivially easy to find, and only appears in four configuration
files anyway. As you can see in the Portfile, these variables are just used for
sed substitutions of strings like @HOST@ in the template files. Searching the
port files shows you exactly where these appear:

find
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports/mail/mail-server/files/
 -type f -exec fgrep -l @HOST@ {} ';' | wc -l
       4

Again, I recommend focusing on the actual configuration of the deployed mail
server, not the MacPorts example configuration, unless you see something wrong
or insecure with the example configuration.