Hello,

I run "sudo port selfupdate" and "sudo port upgrade outdated" occasionally and
I see that there are updates and improvements. Which is nice.

Yes,  gcc-devel  is pulled by default, it includes fortran and it seems to work.

However I am experiencing problems with some packages which need other version
which is ether not available for arm64 or it is conflict with  gcc-devel .

Just as an example, I tried to install cantera and it wants sundials2 +atlas
but :

sudo port install sundials2 +atlas
Warning: The macOS 11.2 SDK does not appear to be installed. Ports may not
build correctly.
Warning: You can install it as part of the Xcode Command Line Tools package by
running `xcode-select --install'.
--->  Computing dependencies for sundials2
Error: Can't install libgcc9 because conflicting ports are active: libgcc-devel
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
Error: Processing of port sundials2 failed

And I am finished at this point.

Petr