> On 30 May 2021, at 4:09 pm, Christoph Kukulies <k...@kukulies.org> wrote:
>
> No, of course I didn’t read the port notes since I don’t know where one can
> find them after having done a
> port install.

You don’t have to find them. They are printed for you when you install the
port, you just have to pay attention and read them

 > sudo port install inetutils
--->  Computing dependencies for inetutils
--->  Fetching archive for inetutils
--->  Attempting to fetch inetutils-2.0_0+client.darwin_20.x86_64.tbz2 from
https://packages.macports.org/inetutils
--->  Attempting to fetch inetutils-2.0_0+client.darwin_20.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160
from https://packages.macports.org/inetutils
--->  Installing inetutils @2.0_0+client
--->  Activating inetutils @2.0_0+client
--->  Cleaning inetutils
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  No broken files found.
--->  No broken ports found.
--->  Some of the ports you installed have notes:
  inetutils has the following notes:
    All clients are now installed with the "g” prefix

> Why did they do that (prefixing the utils with a „g“). Is it now a GNU thing?

Its an explicit choice made in the port, to distinguish the GNU versions of
these utils from the BSD one that come with the OS.

Chris