Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> No, of course I didn’t read the port notes since I don’t know where one can
> find them after having done a
> port install.

You can simply do :

#=> port notes Inetutils
--->  inetutils has the following notes:
  All clients are now installed with the "g" prefix.

If you want to see which binaries a port has installed, you can do :
#=> port contents gsed | fgrep '/bin/'
  /opt/local/bin/gsed

> Why did they do that (prefixing the utils with a „g“). Is it now a GNU thing?

Because there're differences between the BSD versions & the Linux versions.

(slightly off-topic)
Eg BDS sed can't handle newlines in substitute strings which Linux sed
(gsed) can :
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1251999/how-can-i-replace-a-newline-n-using-sed
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/sed-insert-a-newline-why-does-not-it-work-158806/

Eg whsn I'm monitoring my postfix log, I'm doing this:

#=> cat ./showLog
tail -40f mail.log \

in order to get a more readable output

--